These have nothing to do with running, but they are — as of this week — my favorite cookie. With molasses, three types of ginger and a spicy kick within, these ginger snaps are the perfect follow-up to an icy adventure out on the trails. Merry Christmas everyone
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional; add more for additional kick)
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and molasses.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground ginger, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cayenne pepper (if desired); stir into molasses mixture.
- Mix in the fresh and crystallized ginger.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes in 350 F (175 C) oven, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Yield: ~3 dozen cookies
- Note: Slightly underbake for softer cookies; otherwise they’ll be traditional, crunchy ginger snaps.
- Serving size: 1 cookie (~20 g)
- Calories: 70
- Total Fat: 3.4 g
- Carbohydrate: 9.0 g
- Protein: 1.0 g